What is your favourite IDE?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
edited September 2019 in General Discussions #1

With the wealth of available IDE's out there (IntelliJ, Atom, VS Code, etc.), what are you personal favourites and why?

Comments

• [Deleted User]

I'll start. My favourite IDE is VS Code, though I have also used GitHub's Atom and it tends to be my fall back or even my default for normal editing tasks.

• [Deleted User]

@aaron said:
    Still use Eclipse for all my Java coding. And vim for JS..! haha

What is vim? Is it similar to pine?

• himanshu
    himanshu Member, Employee Posts: 67 Solace Employee

PyCharm is great for python. For scripting, I tend to just use vi or notepad++. I have recently started using Atom.

• [Deleted User]

@himanshu said:
    PyCharm is great for python. For scripting, I tend to just use vi or notepad++. I have recently started using Atom.

Atom is great IMO for the lightweight editing , and powerful enough with extensions and such to handle the heavy lifting as well

• alinaqvi
    alinaqvi Member Posts: 35

As a java Dev: Eclipse.
    People keep on telling me that intellij is much better and I have tried to switch a couple of times as well but to learn a new IDE and become equally productive in it is too much of a performance hit atleast for a couple of weeks ?

• [Deleted User]

@alinaqvi said:
    People keep on telling me that intellij is much better and I have tried to switch a couple of times as well but to learn a new IDE and become equally productive in it is too much of a performance hit atleast for a couple of weeks ?

I'm wondering if you have tried VS Code? I've heard from some Java devs that it's made some progress in becoming a viable replacement, but I am not a Java dev to be able to validate those claims.

• alinaqvi

@jeremy said:

@alinaqvi said:

I'm wondering if you have tried VS Code? I've heard from some Java devs that it's made some progress in becoming a viable replacement, but I am not a Java dev to be able to validate those claims.

I have tried VS Code but only for some flutter and JS stuff. I think its alright but more of a text editor rather than a heavy weight IDE. I consider myself a fairly advanced eclipse user so quite honestly after fiddling around with a new IDE for a couple of hours my gut instinct tells me to jump back to the tried and tested. So I might be missing out on a lot of good stuff out there tbh.

• amackenzie
    amackenzie Member, Employee Posts: 260 Solace Employee

there has been a lot of progress on VSCode Java development... it's not quite ItelliJ, but it's VERY good and getting better every release.
    Every month the devs put out a blog post on their progress... https://devblogs.microsoft.com/visualstudio/tag/java/
    VSCode is by far the best polyglot text editor out there (imnsho) and has enough IDE features to make me never want to go to a big IDE again.

• alinaqvi

amackenzie, you seem like you are well versed with both intellij and VSCode. Are you able to do a high level comparison of these ?

• marc
    marc Member, Administrator, Moderator, Employee Posts: 914 admin

@alinaqvi said:

This is my challenge as well! We're all so busy and it's hard to take time to fix something that doesn't feel broken.

• tkunnumpurath
    tkunnumpurath Member, Employee Posts: 11 Solace Employee
    if(java) 
    goto IntelliJ;
    else
    goto VSCode;

• VvT
    VvT Member, Employee Posts: 15 Solace Employee

Visual Studio for me is the best one for many years - at least when it comes to .NET and C++. In Java I used to like JBuilder but they stopped supporting it so I had to switch to Eclipse. It is fine because it is very pluggable. Not the best coding experience (some say IntelliJ is much better, which I need to try) but still has quite a lot of plugins and a lot of custom IDEs are built on top of it which makes it easier to adapt to them.

• Abhikesh
    Abhikesh Member Posts: 34 ✭✭

+1 for PyCharm @himanshu