BinaryFormatter exception in .Net 5

Anton
Anton Member Posts: 25

Hi,
after migrating project to .Net 5 we started to get this error:

System.NotSupportedException: BinaryFormatter serialization and deserialization are disabled within this application. See https://aka.ms/binaryformatter for more information.
at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Serialize(Stream serializationStream, Object graph) at SolaceSystems.Solclient.Utils.Types.Utilities.DeepCopy[T](T source)
at SolaceSystems.Solclient.Messaging.BaseProperties.Clone()
at SolaceSystems.Solclient.Messaging.Native.ContextImpl..ctor(ContextProperties ctxProps, EventHandler1 contextEventHandler) at SolaceSystems.Solclient.Messaging.Native.ContextFactoryImpl.CreateContext(ContextProperties contextProperties, EventHandler1 contextEventHandler)
at SolaceSystems.Solclient.Messaging.Adapter.ContextFactoryAdapter.CreateContext(ContextProperties contextProperties, EventHandler1 contextEventHandler) at SolaceSystems.Solclient.Messaging.ContextFactory.CreateContext(ContextProperties contextProperties, EventHandler1 contextEventHandler)

This can be turned off by adding true to the project file. But this obviously can't be used as a long-term solution. When can we expect new NuGet package with this properly solved on your side?

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• TomF
    TomF Member, Employee Posts: 406 Solace Employee

Hi @Anton, we don't officially support .Net 5 yet but it's on our roadmap. I'll let @amackenzie comment further on due dates as he's better placed to do that. Support for .Net 5 should fix BinaryFormatter.

• Anton

Hi,

What do you mean by do not officially support? It’s a netstandard 2.0 library, so I assume that it should still work nicely with .Net 5?

Regards

• TomF

Hi @Anton, I meant that Solace doesn't support .Net 5 yet.

• Anton

Sorry, but I still don't get it. Besides that BinaryFormatter issue for which we have workaround what could it be else? SolaceSystems.Solclient.Messaging is a netstandard2 lib so it should work nicely in .Net 5.

• TomF

@Anton yes good point: I probably should have said "officially supported" - so technically it will work but if you see a bug, the answer from our support/R&D team will be "we will do our best, but can't guarantee anything." We do plan to officially support it soon.

• Anton

@TomF I see that new version of SolaceSystems.Solclient.Messaging was release about 13 days ago. Does it have fix for .Net 5? Also, is there any release notes for the new versions?

• marc
    marc Member, Administrator, Moderator, Employee Posts: 914 admin

Hi @Anton,
    I haven't gotten a chance to review the release notes myself for your particular fix but you can find the release notes alongside the API on our downloads page: https://solace.com/downloads/?fwp_downloads=solace-apis
    -Marc

• Anton

@marc thanks, looks like it didn't make it to this release.

• allmhhuran
    allmhhuran Member Posts: 41 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021 #10

Yikes, I have just run into this problem myself.

I've been developing on my machine for while under .net5 with no issues. No complaints or warnings from visual studio on build, all tests passed, etc.

But I've just deployed to an azure VM to run as a service in production, and I get

Exception Info: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.Converter' threw an exception.

The last call in the stack that references the solace libraries at SolaceSystems.Solclient.Utils.Types.Utilities.DeepCopy[T](T source)

This is something of an issue. And whoa... we're 8 months on from where this thread ended. Are we still not .net5 compatible?

• Anton

Hi,

it's been more than a year since I reported this issue. Are you guys looking at fixing it at all?

Regards

• amackenzie
    amackenzie Member, Employee Posts: 260 Solace Employee

Hello @Anton ,

Have you updated your package in Nuget? We addressed this in v10.15.0 and the following was the release note:

Added support for major version upgrade of .NET to 5.x. Removed BinaryFormatter.Serialize() as this was deprecated and marked as "unsafe" by .NET.

If this continues to be an issue after upgrading to v10.15.0 (or above, 10.16.0 is out now), please let us know.

• Anton

Hi @amackenzie . Thanks, looks like I somehow overlooked this. Btw, where is it possible to check changelogs for new releases?

• amackenzie
    amackenzie Member, Employee Posts: 260 Solace Employee

Hello,

The API release notes are included with the download packages and also part of our docs. Here is the .Net version:

C# / .NET API (solace.com)

However, at this time, these only show the changes made in the latest version and do not contain the historical changes. e.g. you can see the 10.16.0 changes at that link but not the 10.15.0 you are actually looking for.

We are looking at changing our release notes to include history. I will tag @palidhjede , our API product manager so he is aware of another person interested in the history in release notes.

• Anton

@amackenzie thank you. It would be great if you'll follow common pattern and upload release notes to NuGet.org - it will be much easier to find. Like here https://www.nuget.org/packages/Nuke.Common/6.0.0 (there is a Release Notes tab)