Where do you get your tech news?

marc
marc Member, Administrator, Moderator, Employee Posts: 914 admin

Hi everyone!
I'm curious where you all get your "more technical" tech news from beyond just headlines such as product announcements? Do you follow a certain blog or tech news site? do you rely on social media? podcasts? I used to listen to a lot of podcasts but the more technical ones seem to have failed over time and I was left with ones such as "This week in tech" and "This week in enterprise tech" which are great but mostly just cover high level headlines. At this point I basically just allow google to curate content for me but I'm interested to hear if anyone else has had better success via other means.

Comments

• TomF
    TomF Member, Employee Posts: 406 Solace Employee

The Register: theregister.co.uk. With headlines like "UK Smacks Huawei with banhammer" you can't afford not to.

• Tamimi
    Tamimi Member, Administrator, Employee Posts: 491 admin
    edited July 2020 #3

"Okay Google, what's the latest tech news" --> this is literally my daily morning routine! And when I hear something juicy an hot I refer to reddit for the latest gossip and see what other people are talking about. There are a bunch of good tech news subreddits as well that are worth following along.

For any startup and new tech news, I enjoy reading along Tech crunch https://techcrunch.com/ as they have solid news on the daily šŸ‘Œ

• arih
    arih Member, Employee Posts: 125 Solace Employee

Realising that now I'm more and more looking at my LinkedIn and Twitter network and recommendations on YouTube based on my previous likes or watch history (for more technical talks). I think following the right person on LinkedIn and Twitter is just easier for me rather than having to open up a specific news site :)

• marc

Awesome, thanks @TomF, @arih and @Tamimi for the recommendations!

I was definitely in @arih's boat of starting to rely on social which definitely has pros & cons. @TomF I'm going to check out theregister in the coming weeks and see how I like it and @Tamimi I configured my google assistant last night to automatically play some tech news as part of my morning routine after my alarm goes off so we'll see how that goes!

If anyone has other ideas please continue to drop then in the thread below šŸ‘‡šŸ‘‡šŸ‘‡šŸ‘‡šŸ‘‡šŸ‘‡

• Kuladeep
    Kuladeep Member Posts: 25 āœ­

@marc, i used to follow this https://www.cnet.com/news/ . But we can try follow our fav products in social media platforms but need to set some rules for emails or feeds otherwise accounts will be feeded with them :wink:

• marc

Thanks @Kuladeep. I actually just added CNET to my google assistant routine that gets played in the morning. I'm testing out CNET, Engadget, TechCrunch and WIRED to see what I like best.

• himanshu
    himanshu Member, Employee Posts: 67 Solace Employee

I am surprised I have not seen The Verge being mentioned on this thread yet. It's my main source followed by Tech Crunch for startup related news.
    Some other sites I regularly visit:

• arih
    arih Member, Employee Posts: 125 Solace Employee

@marc said:
    Awesome, thanks @TomF, @arih and @Tamimi for the recommendations!

I was definitely in @arih's boat of starting to rely on social which definitely has pros & cons. @TomF I'm going to check out theregister in the coming weeks and see how I like it and @Tamimi I configured my google assistant last night to automatically play some tech news as part of my morning routine after my alarm goes off so we'll see how that goes!

Yeah @marc don't forget to follow @TomF on social media as well for great (derivative) news :)

If anyone has other ideas please continue to drop then in the thread below šŸ‘‡šŸ‘‡šŸ‘‡šŸ‘‡šŸ‘‡šŸ‘‡

Forgot to mention ThoughtWorks Technology Radar for rather long term view of new tech being adopted!

• marc
    edited July 2020 #10

Thanks again @arih, ThoughtWorks Radar is pretty cool. Even found AsyncAPI on it :)

• MeaganHanes
    MeaganHanes Member Posts: 1 āœ­

I still have Slashdot as a part of my daily routine, as well as Hacker News.