Is it allowed to include C libs in a public Git repository?

Options
radekm
radekm Member Posts: 23

Hi,

I'm creating a tool that reads messages
from Solace and saves them to a database.

I'm using Solace C SDK from Rust.
I manually downloaded Solace libraries
from https://solace.com/downloads/?fwp_downloads=solace-apis

Now I would like to publish my tool to a public Git
repository. But since it won't compile without the libraries
I would like to publish those libraries too
or at least include a script that will download them when
building my tool.

Is it allowed? Or are there better options when publishing
a code that needs Solace C libraries?

Thanks

Best Answer

• amackenzie
    amackenzie Member, Employee Posts: 260 Solace Employee
    #2 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello,

The distribution of the Solace APIs is via Solace-provided locations such as our download page, customer products portal, and (in some cases) public repositories like Maven Central Repository, Nuget and PyPi.

We would, therefore, suggest that instead of providing the CCSMP SDK as part of your project that you instead mention it is a pre-requisite to obtain before compiling your project.

This then puts the acquisition of the libraries from a Solace-sanctioned site the responsibility of the app developer using your project. This is important as it requires the app developer to accept the license agreement with Solace, which would be missing if you distributed them directly from your project.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Answers

• amackenzie
    amackenzie Member, Employee Posts: 260 Solace Employee
    #3 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello,

The distribution of the Solace APIs is via Solace-provided locations such as our download page, customer products portal, and (in some cases) public repositories like Maven Central Repository, Nuget and PyPi.

We would, therefore, suggest that instead of providing the CCSMP SDK as part of your project that you instead mention it is a pre-requisite to obtain before compiling your project.

This then puts the acquisition of the libraries from a Solace-sanctioned site the responsibility of the app developer using your project. This is important as it requires the app developer to accept the license agreement with Solace, which would be missing if you distributed them directly from your project.

Cheers,
    Andrew

• kimmieer
    kimmieer Member Posts: 6
    Options

Thanks for helping with this question!