Does any of the other Delivery modes other than DIRECT has any impact or use on Topic subscription?

Options
deepakvjk
deepakvjk Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
edited September 2022 in General Discussions #1

Does any of the other Delivery modes (PERSISTENT or NON-PERSISTENT) other than DIRECT has any impact or use on Topic subscription? Also in the Solace UI, when publishing a Topic there is an option to switch the Delivery mode, but didn't see this has any impact on consumer/Subscriber side. I have seen this has an impact on Queue subscription only.

Best Answer

• amackenzie
    amackenzie Member, Employee Posts: 260 Solace Employee
    #2 Answer ✓
    Options

I am not sure what you mean by "impact" in the above description. Topics are fundamental to the Pub-Sub messaging pattern. The mode of delivery determines how the message is handled in the broker. More on that here. One of the characteristics is whether a message is acknowledged or not. A good source of this info is here and there is a very good video near the bottom with Aaron Lee walking you through Topics.

Solace generally recommends publishing on a Topic, even with Guaranteed/Persistent messaging. You would add a subscription(s) to Queues to allow these messages to be persisted.

So a Topic itself is not "impacted" directly by the Delivery Mode per se. What IS impacted is the handling of the message once its Topic has been determined at the broker.

Answers

• amackenzie
    amackenzie Member, Employee Posts: 260 Solace Employee
    #3 Answer ✓
    Options

I am not sure what you mean by "impact" in the above description. Topics are fundamental to the Pub-Sub messaging pattern. The mode of delivery determines how the message is handled in the broker. More on that here. One of the characteristics is whether a message is acknowledged or not. A good source of this info is here and there is a very good video near the bottom with Aaron Lee walking you through Topics.

Solace generally recommends publishing on a Topic, even with Guaranteed/Persistent messaging. You would add a subscription(s) to Queues to allow these messages to be persisted.

So a Topic itself is not "impacted" directly by the Delivery Mode per se. What IS impacted is the handling of the message once its Topic has been determined at the broker.