How to Use Docker to Try Out Solace PubSub+

Solace PubSub+ is the only advanced event broker technology that offers publish/subscribe, queuing, request/reply, streaming, and replay all in a single platform. The fastest and easiest way to get started with publish/subscribe messaging is to use Docker. In this post I will walk you through the steps. Specifically, I will show you how to:

• Install Docker
  • Use Docker to download PubSub+ to your desktop and run it
  • Send and receive messages

Install Docker

Install Docker for your operating system:

Install and run Solace PubSub+

Follow the steps below to use Docker to install and run Solace PubSub+ on your computer:

1. Open a command line window on your computer.
  2. Copy the following Docker command and paste it into the command line window:
    docker run -d -p 8080:8080 -p 55555:55555 -p:80:80 --shm-size=2g --env username_admin_globalaccesslevel=admin --env username_admin_password=admin --name=solacePSPlusStandard solace/solace-pubsub-standard

The command will run Solace PubSub+. If Solace PubSub+ isn't downloaded, or if there is a newer version, it will download it first.

Wondering what each of the parameters in the command line does? Refer to the “Parameters in the Docker startup command” toward the end of the post.

The download will take several minutes on a high-speed network.

Send and receive a message using Solace PubSub+

To test publishing and receiving messages with Solace PubSub+, do the following steps:

1. Open the Try Me Publisher page and click Connect to connect to your Solace PubSub+ Server.
    Click Connect
  2. Open the Try Me Subscriber page and click Connect to connect to your Solace PubSub+ Server
    Click Connect
  3. Click Subscribe to receive messages from the “topic/try/me” topic.
    Subscribe to topic
  4. On the Try Me Publisher page, click Publish to send the message from the text box.
    Publish message
    You can edit the message and send it again if you like.
  5. On the Try Me Subscriber page, check if the message is received.
    View message

Learn more

To learn more about PubSub+, check out the following resources:

Parameters in the Docker startup command

Here is a brief summary of what the parameters in the “docker run” command do:

Parameter Description
-d Run the container in the background and print the container ID.
-p

“-p” designates a port to publish to the Host from the Container. The order is: hostPort:containerPort.

- 8080 - Connect your browser to port 8080 to use the PubSub+ Manager

- 55555 – Connect applications to use the Solace APIs.

- 80 – Connect applications to use Web Messaging APIs < /td>

--shm-size=2g Specify 2GB memory to be available to the container.
--env username_admin_password=admin Set environment variable in the container to the specified value.
--name=solacePSPlusStandard Assign a name to the container.
solace/solace-pubsub-standard The container to use. If it is not found locally, Docker will download it from the Docker public repository.

Comments

• sakimble
    sakimble Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2022 #2

Are these docs still up to date? In order to get this working, I had to (1) explicitly connect on port 8008 from the Try Me Publisher; and (2) publish the port 8008 when registering, e.g. the command:

docker run -d -p 8080:8080 -p 55555:55555 -p:80:80 -p:8008:8008 --shm-size=2g --env username_admin_globalaccesslevel=admin --env username_admin_password=admin --name=solace solace/solace-pubsub-standard

Port 80, which appears to be the port that we intend to use when trying it out, did not work even when specified explicitly.

• marc
    marc Member, Administrator, Moderator, Employee Posts: 914 admin

Hi @sakimble,

Please check out our Getting Started with Software page for the latest docker command which should resolve that issue for you: https://solace.com/products/event-broker/software/getting-started

Hope that helps!