How to Use Docker to Try Out Solace PubSub+
Solace PubSub+ is the only advanced event broker technology that offers publish/subscribe, queuing, request/reply, streaming, and replay all in a single platform. The fastest and easiest way to get started with publish/subscribe messaging is to use Docker. In this post I will walk you through the steps. Specifically, I will show you how to:
- Install Docker
- Use Docker to download PubSub+ to your desktop and run it
- Send and receive messages
Install Docker for your operating system:
- Docker for Windows -- The Windows installation of Docker requires Microsoft Hyper-V. The Docker installer will install and enable Hyper-V during the installation.
- Docker for Linux -- Download and install Docker for CentOS, Debian, Fedora, or Ubuntu.
- Docker for Mac
Install and run Solace PubSub+
Follow the steps below to use Docker to install and run Solace PubSub+ on your computer:
- Open a command line window on your computer.
- Copy the following Docker command and paste it into the command line window:
docker run -d -p 8080:8080 -p 55555:55555 -p:80:80 --shm-size=2g --env username_admin_globalaccesslevel=admin --env username_admin_password=admin --name=solacePSPlusStandard solace/solace-pubsub-standard
The command will run Solace PubSub+. If Solace PubSub+ isn't downloaded, or if there is a newer version, it will download it first.
Wondering what each of the parameters in the command line does? Refer to the “Parameters in the Docker startup command” toward the end of the post.
The download will take several minutes on a high-speed network.
Send and receive a message using Solace PubSub+
To test publishing and receiving messages with Solace PubSub+, do the following steps:
- Open the Try Me Publisher page and click Connect to connect to your Solace PubSub+ Server.
- Open the Try Me Subscriber page and click Connect to connect to your Solace PubSub+ Server
- Click Subscribe to receive messages from the “topic/try/me” topic.
- On the Try Me Publisher page, click Publish to send the message from the text box.
You can edit the message and send it again if you like.
- On the Try Me Subscriber page, check if the message is received.
To learn more about PubSub+, check out the following resources:
- Udemy course Fundamentals of Solace Development
- Solace Samples on GitHub
- Solace Developers portal
- Solace Docs
Parameters in the Docker startup command
Here is a brief summary of what the parameters in the “docker run” command do:
|-d||Run the container in the background and print the container ID.|
“-p” designates a port to publish to the Host from the Container. The order is: hostPort:containerPort.
- 8080 - Connect your browser to port 8080 to use the PubSub+ Manager
- 55555 – Connect applications to use the Solace APIs.
- 80 – Connect applications to use Web Messaging APIs < /td>
|--shm-size=2g||Specify 2GB memory to be available to the container.|
|--env username_admin_password=admin||Set environment variable in the container to the specified value.|
|--name=solacePSPlusStandard||Assign a name to the container.|
|solace/solace-pubsub-standard||The container to use. If it is not found locally, Docker will download it from the Docker public repository.|