Try PubSub+

Working Principle For Solace Loopback Bridge

AbhikeshAbhikesh Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited September 6 in General Discussions #1

Hi,

I have question around Solace loopback Message VPN Bridge which is used for link two Message VPNs on same event broker.

Let's say we have Appliance Name “Router_DC_1” and there are 2 VPN i.e. VPN_A & VPN_C, Now both VPN is linked together via bridge (VPN_A_to_VPN_C) on same appliance.

There is DR for this setup on “Router_DR_1” and we have capabilities to Flip single VPN from DC to DR without flipping all VPN’s, Now let’s say we flip VPN_A from “Router_DC_1” to “Router_DR_1” and VPN is now active on Router_DR_1

Will my bridge still work in this case ? Because this was loopback bridge which was connected via 127.0.0.1 on same appliance and now VPN “VPN_A” flipped to other appliance!

Comments

• TomFTomF Member, Employee Posts: 265 Solace Employee

Hi @Abhikesh, interesting question... I'm working on it!

• AaronAaron Member, Moderator, Employee Posts: 279 Solace Employee
    edited September 9 #3

Nope! You should always use the appliances' (both of them) message bus VIPs, with two remote VPNs in your VPN bridge configuration. Using the loopback on appliances is a pretty old-school way of doing things, and DR is a great reason why. DR was introduced in SolOS 6.x. If only ever one HA-pair, then I guess loopback is fine.

(That's off the top of my head... I hope @TomF 's research turns up the same answer!)

• TomFTomF Member, Employee Posts: 265 Solace Employee

@Aaron , @Abhikesh , er... no, my research has lead me in to a hole. From our docs: "When creating a loopback bridge, you should use an IP address of 127.0.0.1 and not specify a physical interface."

• AaronAaron Member, Moderator, Employee Posts: 279 Solace Employee

Huh, so the docs don't specify, eh? I mean, yes it's definitely possible to create a loopback, and if/when you do a DR failover, BOTH VPNs move over, then I think it should also still be ok. But if you can split them, then you'll need the other IP address.

Well, maybe that's it? Maybe you still need 2 IP addresses / 2 remote VPNs in your bridge config... one loopback, and one for the DR machine?

I'll inquire.