Solace broker and ELK integration

I am not able to apply solace gork pattern(Solace event log) on logstash config file

if [type] == "syslog" { grok { match => { "message" => "%{SOLACE_EVENT_LOG}" } } syslog_pri {} }

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Member, Administrator, Moderator, Employee Posts: 508 admin

Hi @Kinjal Shah !

Here's one of my logstash config files. It might be a bit complicated, but it should give you some pointers. https://github.com/aaron-613/solace-logging-config/blob/master/solace_logstash.conf
    Other options are here, and a bit of a write-up: https://github.com/aaron-613/solace-logging-config/

BTW, did you try Googling for just "solace logstash"? Here are a couple other resources from our webpage:
    Blog: https://solace.com/blog/integrating-solace-with-logstash/
    Integration Guide: https://docs.solace.com/Developer-Tools/Integration-Guides/Elk-Stack.htm

• Aaron

Double post! Just saw your other one. Ok: did you notice the Appendix (appendices) at teh end of the PDF document? All the various patterns are defined there, and a full config file is given.

If you've copy-pasted all of those from the Appendix, is your Logstash giving any errors? grok rules parsing errors..?

• Kinjal Shah
    Kinjal Shah Member Posts: 10

getting below error if I copy the logstash config file provided in appendix in pdf

Oct 28 13:13:47 ip-172-32-2-49.us-east-2.compute.internal logstash[3847]: create at org/logstash/execution/ConvergeResultExt.java:129
    Oct 28 13:13:47 ip-172-32-2-49.us-east-2.compute.internal logstash[3847]: add at org/logstash/execution/ConvergeResultExt.java:57
    Oct 28 13:13:47 ip-172-32-2-49.us-east-2.compute.internal logstash[3847]: converge_state at /usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:355
    Oct 28 13:13:47 ip-172-32-2-49.us-east-2.compute.internal logstash[3847]: [2020-10-28T13:13:47,675][ERROR][logstash.agent ] An exception happened when converging configuration {:exception=>LogStash::Error, :message=>"Don't know how to handle Java::JavaLang::IllegalStateException for PipelineAction::Create<main>", :backtrace=>["org/logstash/execution/ConvergeResultExt.java:129:in create'", "org/logstash/execution/ConvergeResultExt.java:57:inadd'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:355:in block in converge_state'"]} Oct 28 13:13:47 ip-172-32-2-49.us-east-2.compute.internal logstash[3847]: [2020-10-28T13:13:47,684][FATAL][logstash.runner ] An unexpected error occurred! {:error=>#<LogStash::Error: Don't know how to handleJava::JavaLang::IllegalStateExceptionforPipelineAction::Create

>, :backtrace=>["org/logstash/execution/ConvergeResultExt.java:129:increate'", "org/logstash/execution/ConvergeResultExt.java:57:in add'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:355:inblock in converge_state'"]}
    Oct 28 13:13:47 ip-172-32-2-49.us-east-2.compute.internal logstash[3847]: [2020-10-28T13:13:47,736][ERROR][org.logstash.Logstash ] java.lang.IllegalStateException: Logstash stopped processing because of an error: (SystemExit) exit
  • Kinjal Shah

Failed to execute action {:action=>LogStash::PipelineAction::Create/pipeline_id:main, :exception=>"Java::JavaLang::IllegalStateException", :message=>"Unable to configure plugins: (ConfigurationError) Something is wrong with your configuration.", :backtrace=>["org.logstash.config.ir.CompiledPipeline.(CompiledPipeline.java:126)", "org.logstash.execution.JavaBasePipelineExt.initialize(JavaBasePipelineExt.java:80)", "org.logstash.execution.JavaBasePipelineExt$INVOKER$i$1$0$initialize.call(JavaBasePipelineExt$INVOKER$i$1$0$initialize.gen)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.JavaMethod$JavaMethodN.call(JavaMethod.java:837)", "org.jruby.ir.runtime.IRRuntimeHelpers.instanceSuper(IRRuntimeHelpers.java:1169)", "org.jruby.ir.runtime.IRRuntimeHelpers.instanceSuperSplatArgs(IRRuntimeHelpers.java:1156)", "org.jruby.ir.targets.InstanceSuperInvokeSite.invoke(InstanceSuperInvokeSite.java:39)", "usr.share.logstash.logstash_minus_core.lib.logstash.java_pipeline.RUBY$method$initialize$0(/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/java_pipeline.rb:43)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.CompiledIRMethod.call(CompiledIRMethod.java:82)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.MixedModeIRMethod.call(MixedModeIRMethod.java:70)", "org.jruby.runtime.callsite.CachingCallSite.cacheAndCall(CachingCallSite.java:332)", "org.jruby.runtime.callsite.CachingCallSite.call(CachingCallSite.java:86)", "org.jruby.RubyClass.newInstance(RubyClass.java:939)", "org.jruby.RubyClass$INVOKER$i$newInstance.call(RubyClass$INVOKER$i$newInstance.gen)", "org.jruby.ir.targets.InvokeSite.invoke(InvokeSite.java:207)", "usr.share.logstash.logstash_minus_core.lib.logstash.pipeline_action.create.RUBY$method$execute$0(/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline_action/create.rb:52)", "usr.share.logstash.logstash_minus_core.lib.logstash.pipeline_action.create.RUBY$method$execute$0$VARARGS(/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline_action/create.rb)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.CompiledIRMethod.call(CompiledIRMethod.java:82)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.MixedModeIRMethod.call(MixedModeIRMethod.java:70)", "org.jruby.ir.targets.InvokeSite.invoke(InvokeSite.java:207)", "usr.share.logstash.logstash_minus_core.lib.logstash.agent.RUBY$block$converge_state$2(/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/agent.rb:342)", "org.jruby.runtime.CompiledIRBlockBody.callDirect(CompiledIRBlockBody.java:138)", "org.jruby.runtime.IRBlockBody.call(IRBlockBody.java:58)", "org.jruby.runtime.IRBlockBody.call(IRBlockBody.java:52)", "org.jruby.runtime.Block.call(Block.java:139)", "org.jruby.RubyProc.call(RubyProc.java:318)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.RubyRunnable.run(RubyRunnable.java:105)", "java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)"]}

• Kinjal Shah

its unable to configure pipeline

• marc
    marc Member, Administrator, Moderator, Employee Posts: 914 admin
    edited October 2020 #7

@arih I believe you were recently using Solace + ELK. Any chance you ran into this issue or know what we might be missing?

It looks like @Kinjal Shah is having an issue trying to get the Solace Grok patterns working for event logs that are defined in the appendix of the integration guide

• arih
    arih Member, Employee Posts: 125 Solace Employee

Hi @marc ,

My blog post talks about the other side of the integration - where Logstash consumes logs from Solace Queue using JMS. So I didn't play around with config like what @Kinjal Shah and @Aaron did.

• Aaron

Hi @Kinjal Shah ..! I have recently been playing around with Logstash again, reacquainting myself with it. Using the Integration PDF document you reference, I copied the two Appendices into two separate files... one for patterns, and one for config. I was able to get it working without too much issue. The one thing I changed was to add a specific link to the patterns file inside each grok block in the configuration. I think there's probably a better way to do that, but I'm just trying to get it working.

So, for me: I have a patterns file (copied from appendix):

#
    # TOP-LEVEL PATTERNS
    #
    SOLACE_REMOTE_COMMAND %{SYSLOG_PREAMBLE} %{SOLACE_MGMT_REMOTE_USER_INFO}\s*%{SOLACE_MGMT_EPILOGUE}
    SOLACE_SHELL_COMMAND %{SYSLOG_PREAMBLE} %{SOLACE_MGMT_SHELL_USER_INFO}\s*%{SOLACE_MGMT_EPILOGUE}
    SOLACE_EVENT_LOG %{SYSLOG_PREAMBLE} %{SOLACE_EVENT_EPILOGUE}
    # .....[USERID]\[[PID]\]: [CMDSRC]/[ignored] \s* [CLIENT-ADDRESS]
    # ..... devAdmin[14970]: SEMP/mgmt 14.140.217.68
    # ..... admin[27647]: CLI/1 69.204.252.14
    #
    SOLACE_MGMT_REMOTE_USER_INFO %{SOLACE_MGMT_LOCAL_USER_INFO}/%{WORD}\s*%{IPORHOST:solace_client_address}

# ..... [USERID]\[[PID]\]: [CMDSRC] \s* [ignored] \s*
    # ..... support[6528]: SHELL CLI/1
    SOLACE_MGMT_SHELL_USER_INFO %{SOLACE_MGMT_LOCAL_USER_INFO}\s*%{NOTSPACE}

# ..... [USERID]\[[PID]\]: [CMDSRC]
    # ..... rbc_devAdmin[14970]: SEMP/mgmt
    # ..... support[6528]: SHELL
    SOLACE_MGMT_LOCAL_USER_INFO %{DATA:syslog_userid}\[%{POSINT:syslog_pid}\]: %{WORD:solace_cmd_source}

# <[PRI]>[TIMESTAMP] [SERVERNAME]
    # <142>Nov 18 21:30:05 demo-tr
    SYSLOG_PREAMBLE <%{POSINT:syslog_pri}>%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:syslog_timestamp} %{SYSLOGHOST:syslog_hostname}

# ..... [EVTAG] [SCOPE]: [EVENT_ID] : [MESSAGE]
    # ..... event: SYSTEM: SYSTEM_AUTHENTICATION_SESSION_CLOSED: - - SEMP session (gory details etc.)
    # ..... heinzvpnINFO: CLIENT: CLIENT_CLIENT_CLOSE_FLOW: kov perf-130-81/31733/#00000001 Client (702) (gory details etc.)
    SOLACE_EVENT_EPILOGUE %{WORD:solace_event_log_tag}: %{WORD:solace_scope}: %{WORD:solace_event_id}: %{NOTSPACE:solace_vpn} %{NOTSPACE:solace_client} %{GREEDYDATA:solace_message}

# ..... [IGNORED] \s* [START]\s*[END] \s*[STATUS] [MESSAGE]
    # ..... rbc_devAdmin 09:16:57 09:16:57 ok show queue (etc.)
    # ..... admin 21:30:00 21:30:05 ok (config)# show syslog
    # ..... admin --- --- --- (/usr/sw/jail/logs) tail -f command.log
    SOLACE_MGMT_EPILOGUE %{WORD}\s*%{NOTSPACE:solace_cmd_start_time}\s*%{NOTSPACE:solace_cmd_end_time}\s*%{NOTSPACE:solace_cmd_status}\s*%{GREEDYDATA:solace_message}

And then I have the configuration file, which I modified to point to that patterns file:

input {
      tcp {
        port => "51420"
        type => syslog
      }
    }

filter {
      if [type] == "syslog" {
        #### MGMT: command.log SEMP, CLI, SHELL
        if [message] =~ /: CLI\/|: SEMP\/|: SHELL/ {
          grok {
            patterns_dir => ["/etc/logstash/patterns"]
            match => { "message" => "%{SOLACE_REMOTE_COMMAND}" }
            match => { "message" => "%{SOLACE_SHELL_COMMAND}" }
            add_field => { "solace_event_id" => "MGMT_%{solace_cmd_source}" }
            add_field => { "solace_scope" => "MGMT" }
          }
        }
        ### EVENTS: event.log or system.log w/vpn-specific tagging
        else if [message] =~ / CLIENT:| VPN:| SYSTEM:/ {
          grok {
            match => { "message" => "%{SOLACE_EVENT_LOG}" }
          }
        }
        ### UNKNOWN: just parse the SYSLOG basics and force the rest into the solace_message field
        else {
          grok {
            match => { "message" => "%{SYSLOG_PREAMBLE} %{GREEDYDATA:solace_message}" }
            # Set solace fields so we can search for these cases
            add_field => { "solace_event_id" => "UNKNOWN" }
            add_field => { "solace_scope" => "UNKNOWN" }
          }
        }
        # Does the nasty parsing of the syslog_pri field into facility+severity
        # Have to wait til the SYSLOG_PREAMBLE has been grokked first
        syslog_pri {}
      }
    }

output {
      #file { path => "/tmp/log_everything.log" }