Subdomains

tfanara
tfanara Member Posts: 12

Hello is it possible to create subdomains in the portal designer? As in Accounting (Domain) / Receivables (subdomain) or do you just name the Domain Accounting_Receivables? and of course Accounting_Payables....

Comments

• TomF
    TomF Member, Employee Posts: 406 Solace Employee

Hi @tfanara, at the moment I don't think this is possible. Let me check with the product team...

• tfanara

Thanks I'm Tom F too LOL!

• TomF

Ha! I went through my whole school career being the only Tom. Another Tom joined the Solace London office and it took me weeks to get used to not being the only Tom...

• marc
    marc Member, Administrator, Moderator, Employee Posts: 914 admin

Thanks for checking on this @TomF. I'm interested in the feedback around subdomains as well :)

• TomF

@tfanara just getting back to you - we don't have any plans to implement subdomains at the moment.

That said, Event Portal is evolving fast...

• tfanara

hi Tom F,

Thanks for that. Its ok I can see the idea of flattening the domain in Solace as useful. You have to include your external apps in that domain or else its incomplete in modeling event reality so to speak! Do any of your products show events in a real time graph or map? As in the attached Netflix pic. Since the message queue records history I could see that happen.

thanks
    Tom Fanara!

• TomF

We don't have the DAG style like Netflix, but how about visualising the topics like this:

• marc
    edited September 2021 #9

Hey @tfanara,

If you want to learn more about what @TomF just shared these videos might be useful:

Hope that helps!

• tfanara

awesome! wow that's way cool! thanks so much guys!

• tfanara

I'm in the insurance broker business as a software developer so we are at the center of the event chain! The industry is way behind in terms of implementing microservices driven by an event architecture. I have been working on the value proposition in my podcasts. I was inspired that there is effort to create a visual way to see an enterprise from an event or activity basis. Much needed because its hard to work with scrum teams to articulate what's really happening.

• Aaron
    Aaron Member, Administrator, Moderator, Employee Posts: 508 admin

Both of the visualizations are fairly different... e.g. topic hierarchy representation vs. communication between microservices. But I know that Solace is working on some new capability to integrate with OpenTelemetry to help document/track/trace/visualize a messages flow through the Solace broker, showing hops in/out and stuff. No planned release yet, but should be able to build some sort of visualization like that Netflix slide.

• marc

@tfanara said:
    I have been working on the value proposition in my podcasts.

What's your podcast!? I'll give it a listen

• tfanara

https://microservicesforeveryone.buzzsprout.com/

Part 1 is intended for non-techs so it may bore you guys. Part 2 little deeper but still basic for you guys. Part 3 is coming this month based on EDA but basic and selling the value. My industry is oblivious in general. Mostly large legacy monoliths that are hard to service and extend.

Your comments on the value proposition on part 1, 2 and 3 would be greatly valued!

• tfanara

After working years as a project manager in my own company it was always difficult to involve the entire team. User, Manager, Execs and network engineers are always clueless as to how these information moves around in a way that's important to their perspective. Therefore even implementing microservices I see scrum masters and product owner's bringing at least a map or graph in powerpoint, excel or visio to a meeting to explain how their new project will solve problems.

With the power of Solace and a mesh view world wide now that's way cool informative and useful. Especially if you can query in domain(s) level as Aaron shows in his video on YouTube.

• marc
    edited September 2021 #16

Yes for sure @tfanara, I'm definitely hoping that event portal can hope bridge that gap and help both sides understand the events in context of the business. Thanks for sharing, seems like some good weekend listening for me :)