Executing timed publisher retransmission

rdesoju
rdesoju Member Posts: 66
edited January 2020 in PubSub+ Event Broker #1

Hi,
During a failover scenario from Primary to Standby (Solace processes are killed using kill -9), below statement is getting logged in Producer logs. Also, Primary's processes are restarted automatically after 20 seconds.
Log entry:
"Executing timed publisher retransmission."

Could someone please help me understand the what's happening in this case? Tried to look at event logs however, nothing correlates to this statement in Producer with event log entries.

Thanks,
Raghu

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Aaron
    Aaron Member, Administrator, Moderator, Employee Posts: 508 admin

When publishing Persistent (Guaranteed) messages, the API will automatically resend Persistent messages if it has not received an ACK (acknowledgement) from the Solace broker within 2 seconds. (I think, pretty sure 2 seconds). You wouldn't see anything in the broker's event log. This is just a notification (not an error) from the publisher API saying that it didn't hear back from previous messages and was resending. Note that this will not cause duplicate messages on the broker... the broker and API are smart enough to de-duplicate any retransmitted messages.

Hope that helps!

• rdesoju
    #4 Answer ✓

Yes, it helps. Thank you @Aaron for the clarification !

• hong
    hong Guest Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rdesoju Can you accept the answer? Thanks

• rdesoju

@hong, how do I accept the answer?

• hong
    hong Guest Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rdesoju I set this post to Question and you can now click Yes in the line "Did this answer the question?" above.

• stephenwong
    stephenwong Member Posts: 2

From our experiences, one of the common reasons for seeing "Executing timed publisher retransmission", is that the message spool on the Solace broker is full. In that case try clearing some space (e.g. purging old messages) and re-try.