What's the programming language that you use most?

marc
marc Member, Administrator, Moderator, Employee Posts: 914 admin
edited July 2020 in General Discussions #1

What's the programming language that you use most?

I see a bunch of surveys out there around the "most popular" programming language with drastically differing results depending on the dev audience that was surveyed (which I would expect). This made me curious as to the most popular languages for developer using Solace.

I don't think I can do a "multi-select" poll so please choose your most used language and let us know in comments below what might be second or third if you have other languages you enjoy using :)

What's the programming language that you use most? 10 votes

Java
60%
solaceleahmarchimanshuAaronRobOharry 6 votes
JavaScript
10%
Tamimi 1 vote
Python
10%
JesseMenning 1 vote
C
0%
C++
0%
C#
0%
Other (Please Comment Below)
20%
uherbstradekm 2 votes

Comments

• Tamimi
    Tamimi Member, Administrator, Employee Posts: 491 admin
    JavaScript

If I'm given the option and the availability, I would sooooo go for Fortran. Such an elegant programming language!

On a not so serious note, my second go to is Python. thread management is obviously better than JavaScript and I enjoy the rapid prototyping and speed of development with it.

Also, hint hint - Python - hint hint. šŸ

• uherbst
    uherbst Member, Employee Posts: 121 Solace Employee
    Other (Please Comment Below)

Perl... BUT: Not the best support for pub/sub with solace brokers :-(

• Tamimi
    Tamimi Member, Administrator, Employee Posts: 491 admin
    JavaScript

@uherbst that's true, we dont have a Perl API for native support, however since MQTT is an open protocol you can use Perl MQTT and connect to a solace broker and carry on any of the basic pub/sub interactions! This could be a cool "When Perl and Pub/Sub meet" blog + codelab if you want to a do one! šŸ˜„

• himanshu
    himanshu Member, Employee Posts: 67 Solace Employee
    Java

Used to be q when I was working with storing tick data in kdb+. Then, I moved to python at a different company which allowed me to build data pipelines, perform data analysis, and build a data quality framework. Now, in my current role at Solace, it is Java.

• himanshu
    himanshu Member, Employee Posts: 67 Solace Employee
    Java

@uherbst said:

I had to pick up Perl once and it was painful since most of my tasks were data related. Python is a much better alternative.

• TomF
    TomF Member, Employee Posts: 406 Solace Employee

@himanshu said:

@uherbst said:

I had to pick up Perl once and it was painful since most of my tasks were data related. Python is a much better alternative.

It's probably just a case of what you're used to. If you're working with text, Perl is pretty amazing.