Solace DMQ (Dead message queue) best practices

Hi All,

I am new to solace and recently we implemented an Azure connector to receive message from a solace queue to azure function.

I wondering if there are any docos around handling dead letter messages in instance where azure function is down or there is a fault in processing etc.

We have a DMQ ready that receives any dead messages from original queue. We were thinking to have another consumer read messages from DMQ.

But is there any readily available way to move messages from DMQ , after we have function live or a fix has bene done, to actual queue?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tagged:

Answers

• TomF
    TomF Member, Employee Posts: 406 Solace Employee
    edited September 2022 #2

Hi @sparekhbunnings,

My colleague @Ramesh Natarajan -RN pointed out on an internal chat forum that the YouTuber Tom Scott has a video that is an excellent example of Dead Letter Handling at the US Postal Service. If you watch the video, you'll see why I used Dead Letter and not Dead Message... The video does illustrate the point: it is as important to design your Dead Message handling as it is any and all other error conditions.

So, make sure you have a process in place to deal with your Dead Messages. The size of your DMQ must be carefully engineered to match the SLA time for a fix for whatever problem is causing the Dead Messages.

The good news is that if you need some manual intervention to process them, there is now the copy message feature, which allows you to manually copy messages from one endpoint to another. Remember you don't have to consume messages from the DMQ if you don't want to: you can always use a queue browser to inspect the message, decide what to do with it, and use the copy message feature if needed.