Python TLS Connection Reset By Peer

Options
MrSmart
MrSmart Member Posts: 29 ✭✭✭
edited August 2023 in Connectors & Integrations #1

I'm a bit at loss here, Solace shows everything is ready to accept TLS connections but it refuses with the following error on the client side:

solace.messaging.errors.pubsubplus_client_error.PubSubPlusCoreClientError: {'caller_description': 'do_connect', 'return_code': 'Not ready', 'sub_code': 'SOLCLIENT_SUBCODE_COMMUNICATION_ERROR', 'error_info_sub_code': 14, 'error_info_contents': 'TCP: Could not read from socket 8, error = Connection reset by peer (104)'}

Port 55443 is being listened to on the server, the port is open in the Firewall Security Group.

Solace TLS Status on VPN:

General TLS Settings:

And some python code:

broker_props = {
"solace.messaging.transport.host": f"tcp://{host1}:55443,tcp://{host2}:55443",
"solace.messaging.service.vpn-name": "default",
"solace.messaging.authentication.scheme.basic.username": credentials_username,
"solace.messaging.authentication.scheme.basic.password": credentials_password
}

Same result with both security strategies:

#transport_security_strategy = TLS.create().with_certificate_validation(True, False, "/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt")

transport_security_strategy = TLS.create().without_certificate_validation()

And our connection:

messaging_service = MessagingService.builder().from_properties(broker_props).with_reconnection_retry_strategy(RetryStrategy.parametrized_retry(20,3)).with_transport_security_strategy(transport_security_strategy).build()

messaging_service.connect()

Tagged:

Comments

• MrSmart
    edited August 2023 #2
    Options

Just to add, connections via port 55555 work fine, messages are being accepted

• amackenzie
    amackenzie Member, Employee Posts: 260 Solace Employee
    Options

You should be using tcps:// as the protocol, I believe.

• MrSmart
    Options

That actually did the trick, now it says:

solace.messaging.errors.pubsubplus_client_error.PubSubPlusCoreClientError: SESSION CREATION UNSUCCESSFUL. Untrusted certificate. {'caller_description': 'do_connect', 'return_code': 'Not ready', 'sub_code': 'SOLCLIENT_SUBCODE_UNTRUSTED_CERTIFICATE', 'error_info_sub_code': 99, 'error_info_contents': "Session '(c0,s1)_default': The peer certificate is not trusted, rc='unable to get local issuer certificate'"}

There is a working Let's Encrypt certificate active inside the broker.

I link to the default Ubuntu CA Trust Store

When I use without_certificate_validation() the connection works fine! So thank you for that at least :)

• marc
    marc Member, Administrator, Moderator, Employee Posts: 921 admin
    Options

Hi @MrSmart,

Did you verify that LetsEncrypt is a valid certificate authority per your system? I tried a quick google but couldn't find a default list for ubuntu. Maybe try something like this: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/97244/list-all-available-ssl-ca-certificates

Hope that helps!

• MrSmart
    Options

Hi @marc,

This is what Let's Encrypt mentions on their site:

This is what the Ubuntu server gives back when listing all certificate subjects:

So I guess this should be able to work somehow. But it doesn't.

• amackenzie
    Options

The 3rd parameter of the `with_certificate_validation()` method is `trust_store_file_path`. Have you tried passing `/etc/ssl/certs`?

• MrSmart
    Options

Well, it gave me something:

2023-08-18 09:54:55,794 [WARNING] solace.messaging.core: [_solace_transport.py:84] [[SERVICE: 0x7f726dc14280] - [APP ID: eupq01/796/00000001/cyDP6jieow]] {'caller_description': 'From service event callback', 'return_code': 'Ok', 'sub_code': 'SOLCLIENT_SUBCODE_FAILED_LOADING_TRUSTSTORE', 'error_info_sub_code': 98, 'error_info_contents': "Session '(c0,s1)_default': files in trust store '/etc/ssl/certs' over the limit (64 files allowed)!"}

Guess this would be a dead end then. I'm a guest at this server and have no influence over the trust store.

• amackenzie
    Options

Can you point to the certificate path directly? It would live at /etc/letsencrypt/live/domain_name.

• MrSmart
    edited August 2023 #10
    Options

the let's encrypt certificate is on the broker server, this is the publisher server trying to push messages to the broker.

• amackenzie
    Options

Oh right... so do you have some way of getting the public cert so you can put it on a folder with less files?

• MrSmart
    Options

well no, not really, aside from doing it manually I guess, but I'm not looking forward to be doing that every 2 months. If only we could raise the limit of 64, that would make the most sense.