Spring Cloud Stream Consumer Binding to a DMQ

Mike13
Mike13 Member Posts: 29

Hi there
Is there a way to bind a Spring Cloud Stream consumer to a DMQ?
I tried things like that:

failedMessage-in-0:
    destination: DEAD_MSG_QUEUE
    contentType: "application/text"

But a consumer always binds to a queue which has a subsciption to the topic (in destination), right?
So this doesn't work.
Is there a solution for this?
Thanks and best regards
Mike

Comments

• marc
    marc Member, Administrator, Moderator, Employee Posts: 914 admin

Hi @Mike13,
    Currently the Solace Spring Cloud Stream binder enforces an "opinionated view" where the queue name is dynamically created (or expected to be) as {prefix}{destination}.{group}. We have an enhancement open to allow for this opinion to be overridden, but in the meantime I think I have a solution for you.

I believe this should work for you:

• Set a custom DMQ name that ends with .DMQ. For example's sake, let's use FOO.DMQ (Note you can set the DMQ on each queue using SEMP/cli/PS+ Mgr or set up an endpoint template that automatically adds it based on queue naming)
    • Split the DMQ on the . and have your Spring Cloud Stream Binding use the first part (FOO in our example) as the destination and set the group name to be the second part (DMQ in our example)
    • Disable automatic provisioning of the queue (assuming you already created the queue you want to consume from) & subscriptions

So your binding config would end up looking like this:

spring.cloud.function.definition=failedMessage
    spring.cloud.stream.bindings.failedMessage-in-0.destination=FOO
    spring.cloud.stream.bindings.failedMessage-in-0.group=DMQ
    spring.cloud.stream.solace.bindings.failedMessage-in-0.consumer.provisionDurableQueue=false
    spring.cloud.stream.solace.bindings.failedMessage-in-0.consumer.provisionSubscriptionsToDurableQueue=false

Let me know if it works :)

• Mike13
    Mike13 Member Posts: 29

Hi @marc
    Nice one, this works for me :-).
    Thanks!

• marc
    marc Member, Administrator, Moderator, Employee Posts: 914 admin

Awesome, you're very welcome!