JMS With Proxy

frenchtoast1982
frenchtoast1982 Member Posts: 3
edited January 2021 in General Discussions #1

I cannot seem to find a way to use the Solace Java JMS library to create a client that will connect to an existing publisher outside my company network. The documentation seems to allude to being able to set a SOCKS5 proxy in the host property, but when I try to do that, I receive an error that there are too many colons in the connection string. Is there a trick to setting up a Solace JMS client behind a corporate firewall?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• marc
    marc Member, Administrator, Moderator, Employee Posts: 914 admin
    #2 Answer ✓

Thanks for confirming @frenchtoast1982. I'm not sure what the solution is but will see if someone else does!

• marc
    #3 Answer ✓

Hi @frenchtoast1982,
    I reached out to our support team to get more info and turns out I missed a pretty big hint in our docs:

The use of proxies is supported by the Java RTO, C, and .NET messaging APIs, but not by the Java API.

Since JMS uses our Java API (JCSMP) under the covers and JCSMP doesn't support proxies it is also not supported by JMS.

Answers

• marc

Hi @frenchtoast1982 (nice username!)
    It looks like there are a few examples of connecting via a proxy server in the docs here. Does your connection string look like one of those examples? If those examples don't help can you share some more info about your connect string and the exception you're getting?

• frenchtoast1982

Hi Marc, those are the examples I use. When I go to execute the Java code, it does not accept those strings, it reports too many colons in the connection path. I really wish it was that simple, but, somewhere, something is getting lost in the mix.

Thanks,

• marc
    #6 Answer ✓

Thanks for confirming @frenchtoast1982. I'm not sure what the solution is but will see if someone else does!

• marc
    #7 Answer ✓

Hi @frenchtoast1982,
    I reached out to our support team to get more info and turns out I missed a pretty big hint in our docs:

The use of proxies is supported by the Java RTO, C, and .NET messaging APIs, but not by the Java API.

Since JMS uses our Java API (JCSMP) under the covers and JCSMP doesn't support proxies it is also not supported by JMS.

• frenchtoast1982

Awesome, thanks for looking into it, guess I missed it in the documentation too. At least now I know I am not crazy!