Solace Topic Endpoint - Non exclusive, Guaranteed delivery

Options
Asha
Asha Member Posts: 2

Hi ,
I want to create a topic endpoint which will allow message persistence in the topic endpoint , allow multiple consumers and assures guaranteed delivery of messages. Topic endpoint will be subscribed only to one topic

I am planning to create durable topic endpoint for the same. Is this the right approach?

As per the documentation below, topic endpoint removes the messages from topic endpoint before reading https://solace.com/blog/queues-vs-topic-endpoints/

(refer 'Ability to read without removal' section)

Which I think should not happen in guaranteed delivery until consumer acknowledges. Please correct if my understanding is wrong

Also , when i create DTE on SolAdmin , I do not see an option to select access type as "non-exclusive".
Can DTE be configured as non-exclusive?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• TomF
    TomF Member, Employee Posts: 406 Solace Employee
    #2 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Asha, Topic Endpoints are persistent and offer guaranteed delivery. Messages are not removed before being read and require an acknowledgement to be deleted from the TE.

From what you've written, it sounds like a queue would fulfil your needs. In Solace, queues can subscribe to topics just like Topic Endpoints. Is there a reason you've picked a Topic Endpoint?

Answers

• TomF
    #3 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Asha, Topic Endpoints are persistent and offer guaranteed delivery. Messages are not removed before being read and require an acknowledgement to be deleted from the TE.

From what you've written, it sounds like a queue would fulfil your needs. In Solace, queues can subscribe to topics just like Topic Endpoints. Is there a reason you've picked a Topic Endpoint?

• Asha
    Options

Hi @TomF , Thanks for your response .
    No particular reason not to go for queue endpoint .
    Since we are focused just to have one topic subscribed to topic endpoint , I thought I could just use topic endpoint.

Does durable topic endpoint allow multiple consumers (non-exclusive) ?

What would be the ideal use case to go for Topic endpoint over queue endpoint?

• TomF
    Options

Topic Endpoints can be non-exclusive, yes. However, I'd recommend using a queue.

Topic Endpoints are more for JMS compatibility. There are some minor behavioural differences between TEs and Queues, such as selector behaviour.

• Asha
    Options

@TomF That helps . Thanks for your insights