Protocol difference in publishing (AMQP vs REST)

Options
barisbt
barisbt Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

Hi Community,

We are using PubSub+'s multiprotocol capabilities for inbound and outbound communication. There are many general-fundamental differences between AMQP and REST in terms of usage however I would like to understand what difference it makes when we choose among them while "publishing" to the broker? (in terms of performance or other advantages disadvantages) . The reason for the question: Sometimes messages are sent through adapters and we don't have control & flexibility like APIs. But we can choose among AMQP and REST adapters while publishing, and trying to understand which one would be better (or is any of them better to be preferred)

Tagged:

Best Answer

• rtomkins
    rtomkins Member, Employee Posts: 24 Solace Employee
    #2 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Barisbt,

Interesting question! I think what you choose really should depend on the application, but I'd recommend you keep the following in mind when you choose:

• REST/HTTP is primarily used by our customer base for micro-service and cloud native service integration. It is also used frequently as an interface to applications not developed by the customer. Functionally, our REST/HTTP tends to work best in these kinds of use cases.
    • AMQP tends to be more of an interface to larger number of 3rd party devices and networks like IOT. Functionally, our AMQP tends to map better to these kinds of use cases
    • If you get into hundreds of devices configured on a single broker, you may find AMQP scales better.
    • Performance wise, both technologies are comparable
    • Both are capable of pipelining but you will need to pipeline HTTP POST with REST, which may or may not align with your application.

I highly recommend you reach out to your Solace account SE for hands on guidance!

Thanks for the great question,

Rob Tomkins

Principal Platform Product Manager

Answers

• rtomkins
    rtomkins Member, Employee Posts: 24 Solace Employee
    #3 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Barisbt,

Interesting question! I think what you choose really should depend on the application, but I'd recommend you keep the following in mind when you choose:

• REST/HTTP is primarily used by our customer base for micro-service and cloud native service integration. It is also used frequently as an interface to applications not developed by the customer. Functionally, our REST/HTTP tends to work best in these kinds of use cases.
    • AMQP tends to be more of an interface to larger number of 3rd party devices and networks like IOT. Functionally, our AMQP tends to map better to these kinds of use cases
    • If you get into hundreds of devices configured on a single broker, you may find AMQP scales better.
    • Performance wise, both technologies are comparable
    • Both are capable of pipelining but you will need to pipeline HTTP POST with REST, which may or may not align with your application.

I highly recommend you reach out to your Solace account SE for hands on guidance!

Thanks for the great question,

Rob Tomkins

Principal Platform Product Manager

• barisbt
    barisbt Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Options

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the descriptive answer, it will guide me while choosing one.

Baris