How to empty a queue with 200+ messages?

sjaak
sjaak Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
edited June 2021 in PubSub+ Event Broker #1

Hi all,
We are using Solace in combination with Boomi. We're looking for a solution to empty a queue quickly. No matter how many messages are in that queue.

From the Solace Cloud console, the max is 50 per page. JMS Toolbox is refusing to empty a queue when it contains 200+ messages. How to solve this? Ideally, we would like to have a button in Solace Cloud to do this. For example, today, we have been testing with 3000+ messages. It would take 60 clicks in Solace Cloud to empty the queue. Not really efficient IMO.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• rlawrence
    rlawrence Member, Employee Posts: 14 Solace Employee

Hi

I believe his feature will be added to the Solace Web UI in a future release. In the meantime, however, you can achieve this using the SEMP V1 API. See an example script here.

Hope this helps
    Richard

• Aaron
    Aaron Member, Administrator, Moderator, Employee Posts: 508 admin

however, you can achieve this using the SEMP V1 API.

Yup, you can do with a single HTTP POST!

Otherwise, you could also just drain the queue with a standard consumer app. But that kind of blurs the line between "messaging app" and "management utility".

• sjaak
    edited June 2021 #4

@rlawrence said:
    Hi

I believe his feature will be added to the Solace Web UI in a future release. In the meantime, however, you can achieve this using the SEMP V1 API. See an example script here.

Hope this helps
    Richard

That's an acceptable workaround. Btw: what's the priority of this feature? It's one of our top 3 admin feature requests in the Solace Cloud UI. Others are

• moving messages from a queue A to B. For example, moving messages from a DMQ to the originating queue
    • view message payloads => this is the number 1
  • sjaak

@Aaron said:

however, you can achieve this using the SEMP V1 API.

Yup, you can do with a single HTTP POST!

Otherwise, you could also just drain the queue with a standard consumer app. But that kind of blurs the line between "messaging app" and "management utility".

Thanks Aaron. True! :smile:

• sjaak
    edited June 2021 #6

@rlawrence said:
    Hi

Hope this helps
    Richard

Hi Richard,
    I have tried it from Postman using a POST {{url}}/SEMP and the following payload:

<rpc>
      <admin>
        <message-spool>
          <vpn-name>my VPN</vpn-name>
          <delete-messages>
            <queue-name>my queue</queue-name>
          </delete-messages>
        </message-spool>
      </admin>
    </rpc>

I get an HTTP 200 OK response, but nothing happens. If I send an invalid XML payload (removing a tag), I still get an HTTP 200. The documentation says:

_An HTTP response of “200 OK” is returned if the command was accepted by the event broker (even if it was not successfully executed).
    _

How does the SEMP V1 operation work?

• rlawrence
    rlawrence Member, Employee Posts: 14 Solace Employee

It could be an error returned from the broker, such as invalid queue name for example. Try running curl with verbose -v option. Feel free to send me the output in a private message and I can take a look.

In terms of the other requests, there is a tool for resending queue messages, such as from a DMQ, you can try here

For browsing queues and viewing message payloads, I used SDKPerf with options: -qb -md -q

• marc
    marc Member, Administrator, Moderator, Employee Posts: 914 admin

In terms of the other requests, there is a tool for resending queue messages, such as from a DMQ, you can try here

Cool tool @rlawrence! I didn't know that existed. It might be worth making a separate post in the community about it with a title that folks might google search for so it's more easily findable. :)

• uherbst
    uherbst Member, Employee Posts: 121 Solace Employee
    edited June 2021 #9

I'm missing the cli for that task :-)

ena
    admin
    message-spool message-vpn my_vpn
    delete-messages queue my_queue
    home
    exit

(if you compare, that's the direct translation between SEMP and cli)

The bad thing: There is no easy way to reach cli on a solace-cloud instance :-(

• sjaak

Hi @rlawrence and @Aaron ,

Is there an update regarding this feature request for the Solace Cloud UI? Thank you.

Sjaak

• Aaron
    edited May 2023 #11

Hey @sjaak! Welcome back. I'm not sure, I'll go ask. Actually, I'll go test...

Well, good news! This option is now available in my 10.4.0 broker:

Not sure exactly when they added it, would you like to know what the min version is?

EDIT: it was added in 10.0.1. But never release noted. So it's been in the product for about half a year now.

• sjaak
    edited May 2023 #12

HI @Aaron, thanks! 👍️ Btw: we are using 20+ Solace Cloud services. And Solace is, as we speak, upgrading them to 10.0. 🤔 The newest service we created last week is 10.2. I don't know when 10.4 will become available for upgrades.

It works on 10.0.x Solace Cloud. Cool! 😃

• sjaak

@Aaron I will check this with support

• sjaak

A screenshot of a Solace Cloud 10.0.x service

• Aaron
    edited May 2023 #15

Nice! For completeness, this feature was added in 10.0.1, but it's not in 10.0.0. The latter would have been a Preview release anyway, and Solace Cloud would not upgrade to that. 10.0.1 is an LTS version. All Solace Cloud production brokers should be on 10.0.1 or 10.2.1; 10.4.1 Cloud upgrades are currently scheduled for August. See: https://solace.com/support/support-dates-for-release-versions/

Glad it's working! Sorry we didn't ping this thread to let you know.

• sjaak

@Aaron No problem, I'm happy the feature arrived! Thanks 🙂